Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ogre Bones WIP (Completed)

I found some time to complete my Ogre bones WIP over the weekend. I had a few issues painting his eyes, as the sculpt has some odd details and hard-to-correct, deep-set sockets, but I am pleased with my results on the whole, and I really enjoyed the group WIP concept.


Now that I have painted two of Reaper's Bones miniatures, I think I am getting a feel for the medium. There is no question that Bones models have softer detail than their metal counterparts, but it is still quite good. I would not have believed it without trying it, but I think Paint actually bonds to the Bones plastic better than it does to metal. I have been handling this Ogre for weeks without any kind of external handle attached to his base, and nothing has rubbed off the surface. I have not had to do any of the last minute touch ups that I usually do with a metal figure.



In my final painting session, I was focused on details and basing. I painted in the gem on his wrist guard using the Reaper Olive Greens triad and a touch of black paint. I started to glue clumps of vegetation around his base to add some texture and variety to the otherwise dead, brownish landscape upon which he was standing.


I chose a mix of browns for the mammoth detail on his front armor plate. I did not want to use a metallic paint, as I didn't think it would show up well against the already shiny bronze background. On the other hand, I didn't want to pick a bright color wince the whole model has a generally dull and desaturated palette. I think the Brown shows up just enough to make it visible without being distracting.


For variety, I painted in the small sack tied to his waist using a dark green color. I can't say I put too much thought into that choice, it just seemed appropriate.






In the next picture, you can see some of the odd issues with the model's eyes. It is not really noticable from the front, but from the side view, the pupils just don't seem to be easily placed where they need to be. Some day, I may tackle this model again and see if I can improve on it, but I am done for now.


Next time: Something new! I have no idea what my next project will be. I have plenty more fantasy character models to paint, and more Battletech figures than I want to count. My Firestorm Armada fleet is also starting to fall behind. I'm sure I'll pick something, but I am also open to suggestions from the audience. Please comment if there is something you'd like to see more of on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment