Thursday, December 27, 2012

Finishing Touches

After a brief interruption from my Battletech Wraith project, it is time to fill in the last few details from my Fantasy sword-mage build.

When we last left the project, I had most of the figure painted, but many of the details, including the metal components, the flame were not done. I also had a lot of highlighting left to do on his gauntlets and boots.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Sometimes Close is Good Enough

Well, the Sunday Battletech demo game has come and gone. I managed to get the Wraith fully painted for the event, but I wasn't quite done sealing and basing the figure. Even so, I showed up and played with it, and the game was fun, even if it wound up a bit one-sided after a few lucky hits early on.

I still need to hit the model with an extra layer off Dullcote, and lay down some Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water" along the stream in the middle of the base. Once that's done, I can declare victory and move on to the next thing.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Progress Update

I got some work done on my wraith project over the weekend. I managed to base coat all of the colors for the model, based on a canon Battletech paint scheme. I even started to subtly shade some of the white panels.

The shading is based on the same family of blue paints that I've been using for my NMM projects lately. (Reaper Master Series greyish-blues) With any luck, I'll be able to finish up the shading by Saturday afternoon, and, perhaps, get some color onto the base.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Breath of Life

With all of the trials of design and construction behind me, it was time to paint my sword mage. I really enjoy tinkering and customizing models, but a project never really comes fully to life until it gets a coat of paint.

I started off the paint for this project, as with many others, by applying a thin coat of black paint on top of my white primer base. I did not try to get full and thorough coverage everywhere. As you may be able to see in the picture, the white still shows through a little bit, especially in the raised areas of the model.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Has it Been a Year?

Wow. I started this blog one year ago, uncertain that I would keep it up and post anything. I guess it's safe to say that I did not just forget about it and wander off. Keeping a public journal of my work has also motivated me to keep painting and modelling regularly, which has been a big help, so thanks for reading!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

By Special Request

One of our local Catalyst demo agents asked me to provide a miniature for his next scheduled Battletech demo event. I told him that I didn't have one ready, but that I could get one done in time. The deadline for completion is December 16th, so we'll see how I do. I am not the speediest painter out there.

My first move, now completed, was to bite off a needlessly elaborate basing scheme to complicate the project and add work. No miniatures project can be complete without extra work. The picture you see here is as far as I've gotten, as of the time of this writing.

Monday, December 3, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

Last time, I talked about the materials I used to base the fantasy character model I've been working on. This post covers the rest of the construction and preparation for the model.

I think I put in much more work than I had to to get his left hand to look the way I wanted it to. I should have kept looking through miniature's lines until I found a better suited source for a wizard's gauntleted hand. Still, I got there eventually.