Saturday, May 2, 2015

Fey Project 9: The Voyage Home

At long last, the Fey Project is winding to its conclusion. During the weekend before ReaperCon 2015 I managed to get the final shading and finishing done, and pack the miniature up for transport to Dallas. This project was exhausting, but I am pretty happy with the results, and it was fun to experiment with so many new basing techniques. Rest assured that some of these will return in the future.


Naturally, I am never 100% satisfied with my work. There are lots of little details that could be shaded or blended a little better to refine the piece, but I do not think the differences would translate into the photos.



One detail that might not return in a future project is the photo-etched brass foliage.  I have to say that working with the tiny brass parts was tricky and fiddly. It is easy to damage a piece while clipping it from the sprue, and the razor-sharp edges do not play very well with paint or brushes. It also takes an astonishing number of individual pieces to construct adequate ground cover, even over the relatively small area of this display base. It looks good when completed though.


The little butterflies are impossibly delicate, and would never fly on a game piece, but they were a lot of fun to add onto this pure display model. I will have to experiment with similar accents in the future.


At the time of this writing, I still have five days to tweak and fiddle with the piece before I have to commit it to the competition. I am hoping that I can resist too much extra fiddling. I'd hate to make it worse.


I think it may be time to go back to painting some game pieces. There has been talk of a Dropzone Commander tournament some time this summer. I must be prepared!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work on this piece, I loved getting to hold her in my hand at ReaperCon thank you for allowing me to do so. And it was awesome being able to meet you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to seeing this mini at ReaperCon, very well done. Your pictures don't do it justice. It didn't fall into my group for judging so I probably enjoyed it more since I didn't have to score it.

    ReplyDelete