Monday, December 19, 2011

Dindrenzi BB WIP - Part 3

I got all the parts primed last night:

It's not too obvious, with the white primer against light grey resin, but it's there. I chose white primer, not because I want a white base, but because it's getting colder in the northeastern US, and I find the white primer is a little more reliable in imperfect weather conditions.

I wanted to try pre-shading on this model. I've never tried it before, but I think I might actually go mad, if I tried to individually panel and shade something this size by hand. To get started, I gave the whole hull a very dark black wash. The overall effect was a dark grey with darker, almost black panel lines. Sadly, I neglected to photograph that stage.

Once the wash had dried, I took out a very large brush (one I usually reserve for painting terrain), and went over the whole model with a heavy white dry brush. The result is here:

The theory is that when I mask off the gluing surfaces and a few details, I can airbrush the hull with a thin coat of color, allowing the black and white undercoat to show through. We'll see how it goes.

I am going to leave the engine pods unpainted until I test out the shading method on the hull and gun decks. Next time: Masking and color!

No comments:

Post a Comment