Monday, September 2, 2013

Experience is Everything!

Sadly, no pretty pictures for this update.

I was at GenCon a few weeks ago, and I had a great time at the show. I was able to play some great games with gamers from all over, including some good friends that I only get to see once or twice a year at conventions.

The two miniatures-related highlights for me were the painting classes I got to take from Sue Wachowski (a.k.a. PaintMinion) and some time I got to spend pestering sculptor Patrick Keith for tips and advice at his booth in the vendor hall. Both artists were incredibly friendly, helpful and full of good advice. My big take away from the con is: "There is an easier way to do everything".

Sue's classes focused on feathering and glazing as an efficient and effective way to achieve a smooth blend on a miniature. In retrospect, I think I was starting to lean that way, and might actually have arrived at the technique on my own... in 2 or 3 years... maybe.

Patrick was kind enough to take a look at the Axebeak project that I have recently covered on this blog. He was able to point out a whole bunch of places where I did way more work than needed sculpting things that wound up mostly, or entirely, hidden in the final product. He also gave me a bunch of advice on how to handle uncured parts when transferring them onto a piece.

Thanks to both for all their help and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment